Copyright ©Chotua et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Received 26 September, 2021 |
Accepted in revised form 20 October, 2021 |
Published 01 December, 2021
Strategizing: Theory and Practice, 2021, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 190-205
Introduction. Industrial tourism is a niche tourism area that combines a unique emotional experience, educational functionality, and cultural and historical component in a single tourist product. Government and business have realized the strategic importance of industrial tourism. Together with the Agency for Strategic Initiatives (ASI), they are implementing comprehensive programs for the development of industrial tourism in regions with significant industrial heritage. Study objects and methods. The present research was based on the theory of strategy and methodology of strategizing developed by Professor V.L. Kvint. The authors performed an in-depth analysis of the competitive advantages and resource provision of the regions that signed an agreement with the ASI. Various economic, social, and other reasons force regional authorities to develop industrial tourism. However, unjustified development of industrial tourism may diffuse the limited regional, municipal, or company budgets. Results and discussion. Statistical indicators and strategic documents showed that the regions under discussion have certain industrial potential for the development of this type of tourism. However, poor transport infrastructure, transport accessibility, and tourist infrastructure reduce the chances to diversify the local economy through industrial tourism. Conclusion. Not all regions that have the ASI agreement have sufficient competitive advantages and resources for this strategic opportunity. New members must undergo a strategic analysis of the competitive advantages and priority directions. Regions with good competitive advantages should develop a special program or a strategy for the development of industrial tourism.
, industrial tourism
, experience economics
, competitive advantages
, regional development
, strategic opportunities.
- Zemskova ES. Analysis of consumer behavior in the digital economy from the perspective of generation theory. The Eurasian Scientific Journal. 2019;11(5). (In Russ.)
- Kvint VL. Theoretical basis and methodology of strategizing of the private and public sectors of the Kuzbass region as a medial subsystem of the national economy. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):290–299. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-290-299.
- Kvint VL. To the analysis of the formation of a strategy as a science. Vestnik TSEHMI [Bulletin of the Central Economics and Mathematics Institute]. 2018;(1). (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.33276/S0000121-6-1.
- Levin SN, Kagan ES, Sablin KS. “Resource type” regions in the modern Russian economy. Journal of Institutional Studies. 2015;7(3):92–101. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17835/2076-6297.2015.7.3.092-101.
- Nikulina YuN. Industrial tourism in the world: features of the organization and trends of development. Intellect. Innovations. Investments. 2017;(9):40–44. (In Russ.)
- Paĭn DB, Gilmora DKh. Ehkonomika vpechatleniĭ. Rabota – ehto teatr, a kazhdyy biznes – stsena [The experience economy. Work is a theater, and every business is a stage]. Moscow: Vilʹyams; 2005. 299 p. (In Russ.)
- Yashalova NN, Akimova MA, Ruban DA, Boiko SV, Usova AV, Mustafaeva ERK. Prospects for regional development of industrial tourism in view of the analysis of the main economic indicators of Russian tourism industry. Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast. 2017;10(2):195–213. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.15838/esc.2017.2.50.11.
- Pyatovskiy AA, Sadovnichaya AV, Chkhotua IZ, Yumatov KV. Strategic priorities of development of tourism and exhibition and fair activities in Kuzbass. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):339–347. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-339-347.
- Struzberg GV. Sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya promyshlennogo turizma [The current state and prospects for the development of industrial tourism]. Infrastrukturnye otrasli ehkonomiki: problemy i perspektivy razvitiya [Infrastructure sectors of the economy: problems and development prospects]. 2013;(3):147–151. (In Russ.)
- Sedelʹnikova IV. Promyshlennyy turizm kak perspektivnyy vid razvitiya turizma v Rossii [Industrial tourism as a promising type of tourism development in Russia]. Aktualʹnye problemy gumanitarnykh nauk: Trudy XII Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh [Relevant issues of the humanities: Proceedings of the XII International scientific-practical conference of students, graduate students, and young scientists]; 2013; Tomsk. Tomsk: Tomsk Polytechnic University; 2013. p. 77–78. (In Russ.)
- Chkhotua IZ, Khvorostyanaya AS, Sadovnichaya AV, Pyatovsky AA, Yumatov KV, Shevchuk AV, et al. Strategizing of the tourism and trade show industries in Kuzbass region. Kemerovo: Kemerovo State University; 2021. 371 p. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.21603/978-5-8353-2718-8.
- Kvint VL, Zadorozhnaya GV, Dudovtseva YuV, Shevchuk AV, Alekseev GF, Alimuradov MK, et al. Strategizing of Kuzbass region ecological development. Kemerovo: Kemerovo State University; 2021. 416 p. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.21603/978-5-8353-2797-3.
- Kvint VL, Vlasyuk LI, Evdokimov DS, Azarov YuYu, Alabina TA, Aleshkovsky IA, et al. Strategizing of the digital Kuzbass region. Kemerovo: Kemerovo State University; 2021. 434 p. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.21603/978-5-8353-2796-6.
- Tsivilev SE. Kuzbass 2035: National interests and strategic priorities of the regional development. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):281–289. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-281-289.
- Bran F, Manea G. The industrial tourism. Quality – Access to Success. 2012;13:1–6.
- Copic S, Dordević J, Lukić T, Stojanović V, Dukičin S, Besermenji S, et al. Transformation of industrial heritage: An example of tourism industry development in the Ruhr area (Germany). Geographica Pannonica. 2014;18(2):43–50. https://doi.org/10.5937/GeoPan1402043C.
- Strauss B, Strauss W, Howe N. Generations: The history of America’s future, 1584 to 2069. New York: Morrow; 1991. 538 p.
- Jia Y. Analysis and suggestions on Chinese industrial tourism development. International Business Research. 2010;3(2):169–173. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v3n2p169.
- Kvint VL. Strategy for the global market: Theory and practical applications. New York: Routledge; 2016. 519 p.
- Kvint VL, Okrepilov VV. Quality of life and values in national development strategies. Herald of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2014;84(3):188–200. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1019331614030058.
- Phelps ES. Mass flourishing: How grassroots innovation created jobs, challenge and chance. Princeton University Press; 2013. 385 p.
How to quote?
Chotua Ilona Z., Vlasyuk Lyudmila I. Strategic Analysis of the Region's Competitive Advantages in the Context of Industrial Tourism Development. Strategizing: Theory and Practice, 2021, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 190-205
2782-2435 (Print) /