Copyright ©Vartanov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Received 30 August, 2021 |
Accepted in revised form 24 September, 2021 |
Published 01 December, 2021
Strategizing: Theory and Practice, 2021, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 173-189
Modern media has transformed into a full-fledged industry, embedded in the national economy and inextricably linked with other industries. The strong dependence between the main economic indicators of the media industry and macroeconomic indicators determines the importance of a long-term media strategy. A successful strategy of media system development may improve the national economy and ensure social prosperity in the sense of Aristotelian eudaimonia. The research objective was to develop a new methodology for media strategizing with its mission, values, objectives, and strategic priorities. The study was based on strategy theory, media theory, mathematical economics, econometric methods of strategic media monitoring, and a new method of game-theoretic models of the three-sided market. The object of strategizing was a complex multi-level environment formed by media institutions in their interaction with each other and society, media market, infrastructure, manufacturers, developers, and distributors. The Russian media system was subjected to a primary OTSW analysis, which revealed five priorities. The author developed a quantitative assessment methodology for each priority. The research is a foundation for a separate interdisciplinary discipline “Theory of Media Strategy”.
, media economy
, media monitoring
, three-sided market models
, media advertising market
- Aristotle. Nikomakhova ehtika [Nicomachean ethics]. Moscow: Ehksmo-Press; 1997. 73 p. (In Russ.)
- Bodrunov SD. Noonomika [Noonomics]. Moscow: Kulʹturnaya revolyutsiya; 2018. 432 p. (In Russ.)
- Vartanov SA. Dynamics of Russian media industry development in 2000–2014: general trends and interrelations with macroeconomic indicators. Mediascope. 2015;(3). (In Russ.)
- Vartanov SA. Mathematical modeling of the three-sided market: Media, production and consumers. Bulletin of the Far Eastern Federal University. Economics and Management. 2020;93(1):22–37. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.24866/2311-2271/2020-1/22-37.
- Gureeva AN, Vartanova MV. Deep mediatization as the basis of social world. Strategic communications in business and politics. 2018;(4):113–117. (In Russ.)
- Dunas DV, Vartanov SA. Youth as media audience: theoretical approaches in Russian media studies. Theoretical and Practical Issues of Journalism. 2020;9(1):106–122. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17150/2308-6203.2020.9(1).106-122.
- Vartanova EL, Vyrkovskiy AV, Makeenko MI, Smirnov SS. Industriya rossiyskikh media: tsifrovoe budushchee [Russian media industry: digital future]. Moscow: MediaMir; 2017. 160 p. (In Russ.)
- Kvint VL. The idea of a noosphere of Vernadsky and the regularities predetermining formation of a global noosphere world order of the XXI century. Administrative Consulting. 2013;53(5):013–019. (In Russ.)
- Kvint VL. Teoriya i praktika strategirovaniya [Theory and practice of strategizing]. Tashkent: Tasvir; 2018. 160 p. (In Russ.)
- Kvint VL, Okrepilov VV. The role of quality in the birth and development of global emerging market. Economics and Management. 2011;67(5):3–21. (In Russ.)
- Vyrkovsky AV, Galkina MYu, Kolesnichenko AV, Obraztsova AYu, Vartanov SA. Newsrooms' marketing strategies under convergence. Medi@lmanah. 2017;81(4):42–49. (In Russ.)
- Vartanov SA, Svitich LG, Smirnova OV, Shkondin MV. Media system in the context of a region's development: an econometric analysis. Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Seriya 10. Zhurnalistika. 2018;(6):3–30. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.30547/vestnik.journ.6.2018.330.
- Vartanova EL, Makeenko MI, Vyrkovskiy AV, Grinberg TE, Dunas DV, Gureeva AN, et al. Mediasistema Rossii [Russian media system]. Moscow: Aspekt Press; 2015. 384 p. (In Russ.)
- Fedorova EA, Demin IS, Afanasyev DO, Rogov OYu. On the influence of foreign media on the Russian stock market: Text analysis. Economics and Mathematical Methods. 2020;56(2):77–89. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.31857/S042473880008527-8.
- Okrepilov VV, Gagulina NL. Development of estimating quality of life of regional population. Russian Journal of Economic Theory. 2019;16(3):318–330. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.31063/2073-6517/2019.16-3.1.
- Smirnov SS, Obraztsova AYu, Vartanov SA, Vladimirova MB, Vyrkovsky AV, Galkina My, et al. Business characteristics of the largest all news and news & talk radio stations in Russia. Mediascope. 2018;(3). (In Russ.)
- Sadovnichaya AV. Social and economic efficiency of exhibitions and fairs: Methodology and practice. Economic Revival of Russia. 2019;59(1):76–85. (In Russ.)
- Sasaev NI, Kvint VL. Argument for development of processing and chemical production of gas as strategic priority of Russian economy. St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University Journal. Economics. 2019;12(5):102–116. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.18721/JE.12508.
- Fedorova EA, Rogov OYu, Klyuchnikov VA. The impact of news on the Micex Oil & Gas index: textual analysis. Moscow University Economics Bulletin. 2018;(4):79–99. (In Russ.)
- Khvorostyanaya AS. Technology transfer association industrial strategy development program (on the example of the fashion industry and apparel and textile industry). Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2019;12(2):147–158. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2019-2-147-158.
- Shaklein KI. Monitoring of global and national consumer trends – importance stage of strategizing (based on rabbit industry). Administrative Consulting. 2018;115(7):154–164. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.22394/1726-1139-2018-7-154-164.
- Abd Elrhim M, Elsayed A. The effect of COVID-19 Spread on the e-commerce market: The case of the 5 largest e-commerce companies in the world. SSRN. 2020. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3621166.
- Dunas DV, Vartanov SA. Emerging digital media culture in Russia: modeling the media consumption of Generation Z. Journal of Multicultural Discourses. 2020;15(2):186–203. https://doi.org/10.1080/17447143.2020.1751648.
- Esper TL. Supply chain management amid the coronavirus pandemic. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing. 2021;40(1):101–102. https://doi.org/10.1177/0743915620932150.
- Malthouse EC, Calder BJ, Kim SJ, Vandenbosch M. Evidence that user-generated content that produces engagement increases purchase behaviours. Journal of Marketing Management. 2016;32(5–6):427–444. https://doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.2016.1148066.
- Fernandes N. Economic effects of Coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) on the world economy. SSRN. 2020. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3557504.
- Fink CC. Strategic newspaper management. New York: Random house; 1988. 398 p.
- Flew T, Waisbord S. The ongoing significance of national media systems in the context of media globalization. Media, Culture and Society. 2015;37(4):620–636. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443714566903.
- Gupta K, Banerjee R. Does OPEC news sentiment influence stock returns of energy firms in the United States? Energy Economics. 2019;77:34–45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2018.03.017.
- Hepp A, Hjarvard S, Lundby K. Mediatization: theorizing the interplay between media, culture and society. Media, Culture and Society. 2015;37(2):314–324. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443715573835.
- Hill JS, Chae M-S, Park J. The effects of geography and infrastructure on economic development and international business involvement. Journal of Infrastructure Development. 2013;4(2):91–113. https://doi.org/10.1177/0974930612465205.
- Wei Y-C, Lu Y-C, Chen J-N, Hsu Y-J. Informativeness of the market news sentiment in the Taiwan stock market. North American Journal of Economics and Finance. 2017;39:158–181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.najef.2016.10.004.
- Kreps SE, Kriner D. The Covid-19 infodemic and the efficacy of corrections. SSRN. 2020. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3624517.
- Kvint VL. The global emerging market: Strategic management and economics. New York: Routledge; 2009. 488 p. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203882917.
- Martin-Neuninger R, Ruby MB. What does food retail research tell us about the implications of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for grocery purchasing habits? Frontiers in Psychology. 2020;11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01448.
- Maslow AH. Motivation and personality. New York: Harper and Brothers; 1954. 411 p.
- Muñiz C. Media system dependency and change in risk perception during the COVID-19 pandemic. Tripodos. 2020;1(47):11–26. https://doi.org/10.51698/tripodos.2020.47p11-26.
- Phelps ES. Mass flourishing: How grassroots innovation created jobs, challenge, and change. New York: Princeton University Press; 2013. 385 p.
- Rochet J-C, Tirole J. Platform competition in two-sided markets. Journal of the European Economic Association. 2003;1(4):990–1029. https://doi.org/10.1162/154247603322493212.
- Ruan Y, Durresi A, Alfantoukh L. Using Twitter trust network for stock market analysis. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2018;145:207–218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2018.01.016.
- Chan AKM, Nickson CP, Rudolph JW, Lee A, Joynt GM. Social media for rapid knowledge dissemination: early experience from the COVID-19 pandemic. Anaesthesia. 2020;75(12):1579–1582. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15057.
- Vartanova E, Makeenko M, Vyrkovsky A. Multimedia strategies for FM radio stations in Moscow. In: Friedrichsen M, Mühl-Benninghaus W, editors. Handbook of social media management. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2013. pp. 391–404. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-28897-5_22.
- Venturini T, Rogers R. “API-Based Research” or how can digital sociology and journalism studies learn from the facebook and cambridge analytica data breach. Digital Journalism. 2019;7(4):532–540. https://doi.org/10.1080/21670811.2019.1591927.
- Walker CB. The direction of media influence: Real-estate news and the stock market. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance. 2016;10:20–31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbef.2016.02.001.
- Wu GG-R, Hou TC-T, Lin J-L. Can economic news predict Taiwan stock market returns? Asia Pacific management review. 2019;24(1):54–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmrv.2018.01.003.
- Yoo S.-H. An empirical investigation of telecommunications investment and economic development in developing countries. East Asian Economic Review. 2001;5(2):141–164. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3079320.
- Zhu J. Comparing the effects of mass media and telecommunications on economic development: A pooled time series analysis. Gazette. 1996;57(1):17–28. https://doi.org/10.1177/001654929605700102.
How to quote?
Vartanov Sergey A. A Strategic Approach to Russian Media System Analysis: Defining Mission, Values and Priorities. Strategizing: Theory and Practice, 2021, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 173-189
2782-2435 (Print) /